- Title Pages
- Part One The Upper South's Travail
- Chapter One Owning Slaves, Disowning Slavery
- Chapter Two Rebellion and Reaction
- Part Two The Lower South's Embrace of Slavery
- Chapter Three Opening the Slave Trade
- Chapter Four Extending Slavery
- Part Three Paternalism Rising
- Chapter Five Paternalism Emerges
- Chapter Six Paternalism Contested
- Part Four Paternalism in Crisis
- Chapter Seven The Scare
- Chapter Eight Analyzing the Scare
- Chapter Nine Reacting to the Scare
- Part Five Words and Deeds
- Chapter Ten Discourses of Colonization
- Chapter Eleven Rumors and Insurrection
- Part Six The Upper South Responds
- Chapter Twelve The Upper South Debates Slavery and Colonization
- Chapter Thirteen Tennessee Debates Slavery
- Chapter Fourteen Ending Free Black Suffrage in North Carolina
- Part Seven The Lower South Responds
- Chapter Fifteen Reaction in the Lower South
- Chapter Sixteen Abolition Poison and Southern Antidotes
- Chapter Seventeen The Ideological Reconfiguration of Slavery in the Lower South
- (p.3) Introduction
- Deliver Us from Evil
Lacy K. Ford, Jr.
- Oxford University Press
This introductory chapter begins with a discussion of the differences in the ideas and interests surrounding slavery in the upper South and lower South. It then explains the structure and argument of the book. An overview of the seven parts of the book is presented.
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.