- Title Pages
- Part 1 <i>Prelude</i>
- Chapter 1 Darwinism and Wallacism
- Chapter 2 A Red Bird in a Brown Bag
- Chapter 3 In the Eye of the Beholder
- Part 2 <i>The Proximate Control and Function of Red Plumage</i>
- Chapter 4 You Are What You Eat
- Chapter 5 A Matter of Condition
- Chapter 6 Darwin Vindicated
- Chapter 7 Fine Fathers and Good Genes
- Chapter 8 Studs, Duds, and Studly Duds
- Chapter 9 The Feeling’s Mutual
- Part 3 <i>Biogeography and the Evolution of Colorful Plumage</i>
- Chapter 10 From the Halls of Montezuma to the Shores of Tripoli (New York)
- Chapter 11 Why Red?
- Chapter 12 Epilogue
- A Red Bird in a Brown Bag
- Oxford University Press
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.