- Title Pages
- Preface to the First Edition
- Preface to the Second Edition
- 1 Ideas in Conflict
- 2 The Changing Concept of the Ideal Physician
- 3 The Nature of Suffering
- 4 Suffering in Chronic Illness
- 5 The Mysterious Relationship Between Doctor and Patient
- 6 How to Understand Diseases
- 7 The Pursuit of Disease or the Care of the Sick?
- 8 Treating the Disease, the Body, or the Patient
- 9 The Doctor and the Patient
- 10 Who Is This Person?
- 11 The Measure of the Person
- 12 The Clinician's Experience
- 13 Mind and Body
- 14 The Illness Called Dying
- 15 Pain and Suffering
- The Nature of Suffering and the Goals of Medicine
- Oxford University Press
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.