Jump to ContentJump to Main Navigation
GokhaleThe Indian Moderates and the British Raj$
Users without a subscription are not able to see the full content.

B. R. Nanda

Print publication date: 1999

Print ISBN-13: 9780195647518

Published to Oxford Scholarship Online: October 2012

DOI: 10.1093/acprof:oso/9780195647518.001.0001

Show Summary Details
Page of

PRINTED FROM OXFORD SCHOLARSHIP ONLINE (oxford.universitypressscholarship.com). (c) Copyright Oxford University Press, 2021. All Rights Reserved. An individual user may print out a PDF of a single chapter of a monograph in OSO for personal use. date: 12 April 2021



(p.372) 33 Détente

B. R. Nanda

Oxford University Press

This chapter considers Gokhale’s policy of general conciliation. Sir Charles Hardinge, an Under-Secretary in the British Foreign Office, succeeded Minto as viceroy. He came to India at a time when, exhausted by the humiliations of the Curzon regime and the deferred hopes and the final frustrations of the Minto–Morley reforms, the politically conscious classes were longing for a breathing space. Gokhale himself favoured a moratorium on political controversies for a few years. He wanted to concentrate on constructive programmes in which officials and non-officials, Hindus and Muslims, Europeans and Indians could cooperate. A political truce at this time was especially welcome to the new viceroy because of the proposed visit and coronation of George V towards the end of 1911.

Keywords:   Gopal Krishna Gokhale, general conciliation, Sir Charles Hardinge, British Foreign Office, Minto–Morley reforms, political truce, George V

Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.

Please, subscribe or login to access full text content.

If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.

To troubleshoot, please check our FAQs , and if you can't find the answer there, please contact us .