- Title Pages
- 1 The Irreducible Historicality of the Concept of Art
- 2 Artworks as Artifacts
- 3 Emotion in Response to Art
- 4 Elster on Artistic Creativity
- 5 Sound, Gesture, Space, and the Expression of Emotion in Music
- 6 Musical Expressiveness as Hearability‐as‐Expression
- 7 Nonexistent Artforms and the Case of Visual Music
- 8 Music as Narrative and Music as Drama
- 9 Film Music and Narrative Agency
- 10 Evaluating Music
- 11 Musical Thinking
- 12 Musical Chills
- 13 Wollheim on Pictorial Representation
- 14 What is Erotic Art?
- 15 Erotic Art and Pornographic Pictures
- 16 Two Notions of Interpretation
- 17 Who's Afraid of a Paraphrase?
- 18 Hypothetical Intentionalism: Statement, Objections, and Replies
- 19 Aesthetic Properties, Evaluative Force, and Differences of Sensibility
- 20 What are Aesthetic Properties?
- 21 Schopenhauer's Aesthetics
- 22 Hume's <i>Standard of Taste</i>: The Real Problem
- 23 The Concept of Humor
- 24 Intrinsic Value and the Notion of a Life
- (p.1) Introduction
- Contemplating Art
Jerrold Levinson (Contributor Webpage)
- Oxford University Press
This introductory chapter presents a description of the essays included in this volume.
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.