- Title Pages
- <i>List of Figures</i>
- 1 Introduction to Interpreting the Mysteries: Old Ways, New Ways
- 2 Old Ways: The Reconstruction of Mithraic Doctrine from Iconography
- 3 The Problem of Referents: Interpretation with Reference to What?
- 4 Doctrine Redefined
- Transition: From Old Ways to New Ways
- 5 The Mithraic Mysteries as Symbol System: I. Introduction and Comparisons
- 6 Cognition and Representation
- 7 The Mithraic Mysteries as Symbol System: II. The Mithraeum
- 8 Star-Talk: The Symbols of the Mithraic Mysteries as Language Signs
- 9 The Mithraic Mysteries as Symbol System: III. The Tauroctony
- 10 Excursus: The Esoteric Quartering, a Lost Helicoidal Model of Lunar Motion, and the Origin of the ‘Winds’ and ‘Steps’ of the Moon. The Identity of ‘Antiochus the Athenian’
- Conclusions: A New Basis for Interpreting the Mysteries
- Index of Mithraic Monuments
- Index of Ancient Authors
- General Index
- The Religion of the Mithras Cult in the Roman Empire
- Oxford University Press
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.