- Title Pages
- List of illustrations
- Part I Finding one’s bearings in mid-nineteenth-century Paris
- 1 Regime change on the streets of Paris
- 2 British eyewitness accounts of regime change
- 3 Regime change as viewed from English shores
- 4 Topographical
- 5 Sensational Paris
- 6 Socializing in Paris
- 7 The <i>salons</i>
- Part II Anglophone journalism in Paris
- 8 Press conditions
- 9 Who were ‘the Paris correspondents’?
- 10 The working life of the Paris correspondent
- 11 Thackeray’s debt to the print world of Paris
- Part III The fictional formatting of Paris
- 12 The democratization of British fiction
- 13 Fictional subgenres
- 14 Stereotype and prejudice
- Works cited
Oxford Scholarship Online requires a subscription or purchase to access the full text of books within the service. Public users can however freely search the site and view the abstracts and keywords for each book and chapter.
If you think you should have access to this title, please contact your librarian.