- Oxford University Press is a department of the University of Oxford. It furthers the University’s
- objective of excellence in research, scholarship, and education by publishing worldwide. Oxford is
- a registered trademark of Oxford University Press in the UK and certain other countries.
- Published in the United States of America by Oxford University Press
- 198 Madison Avenue, New York, NY 10016, United States of America.
- © Fred H. Cate and James X. Dempsey 2017
- All rights reserved. No part of this publication may be reproduced, stored in a retrieval system,
- or transmitted, in any form or by any means, without the prior permission in writing of
- Oxford University Press, or as expressly permitted by law, by license, or under terms agreed
- with the appropriate reproduction rights organization. Inquiries concerning reproduction outside
- the scope of the above should be sent to the Rights Department, Oxford University Press, at the address above.
- You must not circulate this work in any other form
- and you must impose this same condition on any acquirer.
- Library of Congress Cataloging-in-Publication Data
- Names: Cate, Fred H., editor. | Dempsey, James X., editor.
- Title: Bulk collection : systematic government access to private-sector data /
- Edited by Fred H. Cate and James X. Dempsey.
- Description: New York : Oxford University Press, 2017. | Includes bibliographical
- references and index.
- Identifiers: LCCN 2017009578 | ISBN 9780190685515 ((hardback) : alk. paper)
- Subjects: LCSH: Government information—Law and legislation. | Electronic records—
- Access control. | Privacy, Right of. | Data protection—Law and legislation. |
- Electronic surveillance—Law and legislation. | Internet—Government policy. |
- Data transmission systems—Law and legislation.
- Classification: LCC K3264.C65 B85 2017 | DDC 342/.0662—dc23 LC record available at https://lccn.loc.gov/2017009578
- Printed by Edwards Brothers Malloy, United States of America
- Note to Readers
- This publication is designed to provide accurate and authoritative information in regard to the subject
- matter covered. It is based upon sources believed to be accurate and reliable and is intended to be current
- as of the time it was written. It is sold with the understanding that the publisher is not engaged in rendering
- legal, accounting, or other professional services. If legal advice or other expert assistance is required, the
- services of a competent professional person should be sought. Also, to confirm that the information has
- not been affected or changed by recent developments, traditional legal research techniques should be
- used, including checking primary sources where appropriate.
- (Based on the Declaration of Principles jointly adopted by a Committee of the
- American Bar Association and a Committee of Publishers and Associations.)
- You may order this or any other Oxford University Press publication
- by visiting the Oxford University Press website at www.oup.com.